|Jinta "Jintan" Yadomi|
|Kanji:||宿海 仁太 (じんたん)|
|Rōmaji:||Jinta Yadomi (Jintan)|
|Height:||165 cm (5'4")|
|Affiliation:||Super Peace Busters|
Mutsumi Tamura (child)
Tara Sands (child)
|Anime:||Episode 1 - "Super Peace Busters"|
Jinta "Jintan" Yadomi (宿海 仁太 Yadomi Jinta), called "Jintan" (じんたん), is the main male character of the series. In the past, Jinta was the leader of his group, the Super Peace Busters.
Jinta is a young man of average height and with a slim build. He has black, midlength hair with a bang across the middle of his face, and yellow eyes. He usually wears a red shirt with the Japanese characters "地底人" vertically written on it (translated, it means "underground people", which may be a reference to his hikikomori nature at the beginning of the anime), blue jeans and black & white running shoes. He also occasionally wears glasses with a black rim. He also is known for being very simple.
As a kid, his hair was shorter and messier. He wore a watermelon-pink shirt with a circular, yellow emblem on it, dark blue, long shorts, and red slippers.
After Menma's death in an accident, the group of friends drifted apart, and Jinta eventually became a hikikomori, refusing to go to school and confining himself to his home.
As shown throughout the anime, Jinta has romantic feelings for Menma as he was deeply affected by her death. These feelings were present since childhood, but he never wanted to admit it until after Menma's death. When Menma appeared, he was determined to help with granting her wish even though she would disappear as a result. He is at times shown to lust after Menma hinted by the blushing or nosebleeds when they're in intimate positions. In the end, it is concluded that Menma herself had feelings for Jintan as well.
("Baka kore no more mo tadashiku arimasen." - "Idiot This is not a mistake.")
As a child, he was seen by the group as the one who had the most potential. He was athletic and always able to catch the biggest stag beetle. Jinta was energetic and outgoing during his childhood, but has become withdrawn and isolated due to the death of Menma. As a child, he had a crush on Menma but refused to admit it when asked. This started the chain of events that led to her accidental death. He believes that the Menma that appears to him is not a ghost, but rather a manifestation of his stress, calling her "the beast of summer". He eventually becomes hesitant to grant her wish out of fear that she will vanish again. Nonetheless, Menma's appearance encourages him to venture outside and reconnect with the members of the Super Peace Busters. He was in love with Menma and to this day still is.
- Jinta is left-handed. This is indicated when he holds his spoon and pen with his left-hand.
- "I thought I could just apologize tomorrow. But that tomorrow... never came."
- "Everyone has changed. That's not it.. the one who's changed most, is me."
- "Nothing you or your friends say will affect my life in any way, shape, or form."
- "You always worry too much about other people! Think about yourself more!"
- "I love you too Menma.."
- "I thought that you changed. However, after actually talking with all of you, I was surprised to find out that no one had actually changed. Even though nobody has changed, there is no longer an "Everyone"...like there was long ago, because Menma isn't here. Therefore, since "everyone" is nowhere to be found, it's the same as if I did it alone. Even if it's just me, I'll grant it."
- "After losing Menma, her mother has held a grudge against us, and Anaru has continued to torment herself... Yukiatsu too.. I'm sure it's the same with Tsuruko.. as well as Poppo. Everyone is drowning in their own guilt. I can see Menma, I was the only one she saved. That can't be fair."
- The name Jinta means "benevolence, compassion, humanity" (仁) (jin) and "thick, big" (太) (ta).
- Jinta's surname Yadomi means "inn, lodging" (宿) (yado) and "sea, ocean" (海) (mi).